Sunday, January 11, 2009

Me likey Jungle

At 6AM on Saturday morning the Alarm clock in Pilar's room woke up as it was supposed to and woke me up along with it. Groggy from lack of sleep due to staying up skyping (Internet phone call) with Krista (the woman I am dating who lives in Georgia) until the wee hours I rolled off my inflatable mattress and grunted at travis through the fog of my brain as he walked by to the bathroom. It was moving day. Pilar and Travis were moving back to Bahia on the south pacific coast of Costa Rica where Travis spent two years with the peace corps and now works for a non-profit that helps set up local community micro credit institutions. After packing the car a moving truck and giving besos and abrazos to the familia we were out that biatch.

With a sigh of relief I looked back at San Jose as we climbed up the mountains in Pilars Chevrolet Tracker. The sigh emanating from the desire to get out of the city and plop myself in the jungle on the beach so as to leave a permanent indentation in the sand from my hindquarters. We stopped at the top of the mountain whose name loosely translated is something like motha fuckers have died up here Mountain so that we could have a traditional Costa Rican dish of black beans, rice and some other shit that made it spicy.

We then continued down into a cloud forest and brokethrough to the coast line of a tropical paradise. Huge palm tree lined shores of bright blue waters rushed passed as we headed south along the coast to Bahia. Upon turning on the road the led us to his house and into the heart of bahia (small heart...a hundred houses maybe) the pavement turned to prohibitive dirt covered with rocky stones and the car was basically getting crunk the whole way to the house. We arrived at a little sleepy 3 bedroom house recently constructed out of light airy materials.

After spending the next fours hours unpacking Travis and I made it to the beach to take a sunset swim. It was unfortunate that the water was 70 degrees and the jungle was everywhere but we managed to enjoy ourselves anyway. I felt like I was on the set of LOST. It is pretty much like that.

Everyone in the town knows Travis and a good portion of them now know me as well as a result. His next door neighbor is amazingly kind with a wife and three beautiful children. He and I had a conversation in Spanish for 45 minutes last night and he spoke slowly and simply so I could understand. His name is Ronald and grew up on a farm with his 6 brothers where they grew all their own food until his father passed. He is taking me to the farm tomorrow where his family has just begun farming again.

As I look out the window of the Rain forest cafe the sun is setting so I am going to sign off and write you again later.....

Besos y elephantes


No comments: